|“||I'm not stopping. I'm not moving. I'm not giving up!!!!
Yuno 「ユノ」 is an orphan who was left under the care of a church in Hage after the downfall of House Grinberryall, the former royal family of the Spade Kingdom. He wields a four-leaf clover grimoire and is a Magic Knight of the Clover Kingdom's Golden Dawn and Royal Knights squads. He is later promoted to vice-captain of the Golden Dawn.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Relatives
- 4 Battle Prowess
- 5 Fights
- 6 Events
- 7 Relationships
- 8 Notable Quotes
- 9 Trivia
- 10 References
- 11 Navigation
Yuno is a young man of average height with a lean build, amber eyes, and messy black hair. His main outfit consists of a pitch-black shirt with a high collar and long sleeves. The sleeves have brown leather that cover the wrists and upper arms. He wears light brown pants that are cut below his knees and, around his waist, a pair of brown belts that cross each other. Additionally, he wears a pair of dark-colored socks and a pair of boots. He carries his grimoire in a pouch strapped at his right-hand side of his waist. Later on, Yuno starts wearing the squad's signature robes.
After becoming a member of the Golden Dawn squad, Yuno starts wearing its signature squad robe, which covers his torso and is gold in color. The fabric has an intricate design with a similar color palette as the robe. It also has a blue-colored fur around the border of the hood and a pair of blue ropes coming from the left shoulder and connected to the gold-colored button on the right shoulder. The button keeps the robe properly in place. The squad's insignia is positioned at the left-hand side.
When combined with Sylph, Yuno's left arm turns green, a green circle of connected crosses appear around his wrist, a green wing appears from the left side of his back, and a green half-crown of connected crosses appears on the left side of his head. As he draws on more spirit magic, the entire left half of Yuno's body and hair turns green as he becomes covered in a greater amount of spirit magic.
Yuno has a calm and emotionless demeanor and speaks only when he really needs to convey his thoughts. His manner of speaking often makes people misinterpret what he means. Despite his detached nature, Yuno harbors a strong ambition to be the Magic Emperor, which he developed while growing up with Asta. Additionally, Yuno has a sense of rivalry with him so strong that he will go to any length to stop anyone who tries to put Asta in harm's way. He also goes out of his way to make Asta look good in the eyes of others, even to the point of Asta's expense, such as when he attacked Asta with his most powerful magic, knowing Asta would block it. Yuno is also known to be very blunt and not hold back what he thinks.
Because he spent most of his childhood living with Asta, Yuno possesses similar traits as he does. One is his tenacity and will to never give up, both of which he learned from training together with Asta in their early days. Also like Asta, Yuno has proven himself to be both very stubborn and passionate when he it comes to his goals, and is not afraid to stand his ground against anyone who stands against him. Unlike Asta however, Yuno is not so quick to lose his calm composure in battle, which sometimes leads to him showing a more quiet, yet intense nature of himself.
In contrast with his current personality, Yuno used to be more of a crybaby who could not stand up for himself. He started to change after Asta saved him while showing his dream and determination. Also in contrast with his personality, Yuno has been shown to be surprisingly protective of the people he views as allies, friends and comrades. This protectiveness however has been misinterpreted by some as arrogance. Yuno has also shown himself to be very considerate and conventional at times, like when he protected Charmy from danger, then afterwards accepted her snack out of both nourishment and kindness.
- Wind Magic: Yuno uses this magic attribute to generate and manipulate wind. He is proficient with this magic even before he receives his grimoire. He usually uses this magic in the form of whirlwinds that can knock out his opponents in a single hit. He can also use the whirlwinds to lift and propel himself through the air.
- Spirit Magic: Yuno uses this form of magic to summon a spirit that can assist him in battle. He uses this magic to summon Sylph, the wind spirit.
- Immense Magic Power: As the rightful heir to the throne of the Spade Kingdom, Yuno possesses a tremendous amount of magic power, as shown when not a single anti-bird flies around him during the Magic Knights entrance exam. His large reserves allow him to cast two different spells at the same time with ease. He easily fights on par with two of the Diamond Kingdom's Eight Shining Generals and defeats one of them. His magic power increases greatly while being possessed by an elf. He develops his skills and power and achieves the rank of Stage Zero.
- Enhanced Mana Sensory: Yuno possesses the ability to sense mana from his surroundings. In addition, he can see the flow of mana in the form of a flock of winged beings.
- Mana Zone: Yuno can control all the mana in the area around him to increase his spells' power and range. He often uses this ability to generate spells behind his opponents, catching them by surprise.
- Spirit Absorption: By combining Mana Zone with his refinement of Mana Skin, Yuno merges with Sylph and a vast amount of mana, increasing his magic power and transforms himself. The increase in power allows him to match that of Rill, a Magic Knights Captain but loses to Zenon Zogartis, a Dark Triad, using 55% of his devil's power. With further training and Sylph's help, the transformation is more complete, and Yuno is able to overpower Zenon at 80% but is pushed back at 100%.
- Grimoire: Yuno possesses a four-leaf clover grimoire that contains various wind-based spells, which he receives in the acceptance ceremony after he turns 15 years old. The grimoire is similar to the grimoire that the first Magic Emperor possessed. His grimoire has a gold-colored cover, the gold-colored four-leaf clover insignia at the center of the front cover and intricate ornaments around the borders.
- Communication Device: Yuno possesses a small device that allows him to communicate with the members of his squad. It can only transmit audio.
- Klaus Lunettes and Yuno vs. Mars: Interrupted
- Yuno vs. Catherine: Win
- Yuno vs. Ragus: Win
- Team O vs. Team P: Win
- Team I vs. Team P: Win
- Asta and Yuno vs. Two Elves: Win
- Asta and Yuno vs. Licht: Loss
- Asta and Yuno vs. Elf: Win
- Asta, Yuno, and Nozel Silva vs. Zagred and Patolli: Win
- Humans and Elves vs. Zagred: Win
- Yuno vs. Gaderois Godroc: Win
- Klaus Lunettes, Letoile Becquerel, and Yuno vs. Foyal Migusteau: Win
- Yuno, Klaus Lunettes, and Letoile Becquerel vs. Zenon Zogratis: Loss
- Yuno and Langris Vaude vs. Zenon Zogratis
- Grimoire Acceptance Ceremony
- Magic Knights Entrance Exam
- Blood Brothers Reunion
- Hidden Treasures: the Sword and the Wind
- The Undead Invasion
- Invasion of Kiten
- Star Awards Festival
- The Hot Spring Training Camp
- Royal Knights Selection Exam
- Attacking the Eye of the Midnight Sun Base
- Battle of the Shadow Palace
Asta is Yuno's foster brother, best friend and rival. They grew up at Hage Village together. Both of them are aiming for the title of Magic Emperor, and are competing to get the title first. Yuno and Asta have a mutual respect and acknowledgement for one another, and can usually be seen standing together during their infrequent meetings. It is their rivalry that acts as their motivation to improve themselves. In spite of their long-term competition and the differences in their personalities and abilities, they do not antagonize each other. While Yuno acts mostly cold and distant to his squadmates within the Golden Dawn, he reveals a more lighthearted side towards Asta.
Despite his own extraordinary innate talents and gifts, Yuno never underestimates Asta and recognizes his potential and power, even where Asta himself does not and sometimes acts to make Asta look good in front of others. Acting as an older brother figure, Yuno sheds his aloof attitude whenever Asta proves his strength, showing what can be seen as genuine warmth and pride. The two are comfortable fighting alongside each other, and become a powerful force in combat when they work together.
While he trusts in Asta's strength, he is also protective of him, such as feeling responsible and helpless when Asta is injured during their fight with Mars in the dungeon. In many ways, Asta and his rivalry with Yuno is a source of strength that Yuno relies and draws on to better himself.
Sylph is one of the four main elemental spirits, who chose Yuno during the battle at the dungeon. She likes Yuno and has a possessive attitude. However, Yuno acts detached from her chatty behavior and usually refuses to respond to her comments, pretending she does not exist whenever she gets frustrated with him. While in battle, Yuno chooses only to speak to Sylph through instructions or simple answers.
A member of the Black Bulls who developed a crush on Yuno since he saved her meal from falling down the kitchen at the Royal Capital, and she called him her 'meal-saving prince'. While it is unknown if Yuno is aware of her affection, he does respect her as a member of the Black Bulls, remembering to apologize for falling on top of her after his fight with Catherine during their next meeting. This gesture would further deepen her feelings for him.
When first joining the Golden Dawn, Yuno was immediately looked down upon for being a commoner, with many members stating that him having a four-leaf clover grimoire being a mistake, or simply luck. Despite not being viewed as a worthy member, Yuno carried out his duties anyway, unbothered by the views of his fellow members. In doing so, Yuno continuously worked his way up in the ranks of his squad, eventually becoming vice-captain. Despite their initial views, various members have come to recognize and respect Yuno, and in turn Yuno has become very protective in his role as vice-captain and also came to view them as his family. Yuno was distraught upon seeing his squad-mates being brutally attacked and killed during the attack on their base by the Spade Kingdom. When Yuno realizes that half the Golden dawn are wiped out by Zenon Zogratis, he angrily cries out in frustration over his inability to stop Zenon and protect his fellow members.
As the Captain of the Golden Dawn, William Vangeance was the first in the squad to recognize Yuno's potential. He was very accepting of Yuno and showed a lot of interest in his progress. Yuno in turn, greatly respected William as his captain, yet was very open about his desire to surpass him and become the Magic Emperor. After realizing the leader of the eye of the midnight sun was in fact William possessed by an elf, Yuno voiced his concern to Nozel Silva about killing him, stating that he wanted Asta to free his captain along with the rest of the possessed Magic Knights and that killing him was unnecessary. Months after the battle with the elves ended, it was William that retrieved and returned the Magic Stone necklace to Yuno, which Yuno was very appreciative of. When William was defeated by Zenon Zogratis, Yuno was quick to attack Zenon in retaliation, showing that as his new vice-captain, Yuno's respect and concern for William has grown. During the captain's meeting, Yuno recalls how William was captured by Zenon because he was fighting while protecting his fellow Golden Dawn member. Yuno states that even though he was suspicious of William after the elf incident, he noticed William's efforts to atone for his mistakes and resolves himself to rescue his captain to prove that William made the right decision by choosing to protect the Golden Dawn members rather than devote his full attention to the battle with Zenon.
A senior member of the Golden Dawn and a noble, Klaus Lunettes had previously looks down on Yuno for being a peasant. Yuno often disregards Klaus's attempts at mentorship and instruction in favor of his own solutions to situations, something that causes Klaus grief on a regular basis. After working together to defeat Mars and escape the collapsing dungeon, Yuno and Klaus became friends.
As fellow members of the Golden Dawn, Yuno has been on various missions alongside Mimosa Vermillion. Yuno more or less gets along moderately well with Mimosa and views her as an important teammate and even friend, as he is more than willing to protect her in battle if necessary, as during his and Asta's battle against Licht ended, Yuno used his magic to protect Mimosa from harms way.
Langris is the vice-captain of the Golden Dawn and is therefore Yuno's superior. The two have a commonality of being blessed with powerful magic and being related to someone much less capable than them. However, while Yuno respects Asta, Langris belittles his older brother, Finral Roulacase, a member of the Black Bulls. His affluent upbringing also makes Langris have a low opinion of commoners, which applies to Yuno, and finds his and Asta's open declaration to become the Magic Emperor embarrassing to hear. Because of this, Yuno and Langris act antagonistic towards each other, with Yuno promising to become the next captain of the Golden Dawn to spite Langris, and Langris trying to exercise his superiority over Yuno. However, this is shown to change (although not explicitly) as the former and present vice-captains team up to defeat the Dark Triad
Alecdora Sandler is a comrade of Yuno in the Golden Dawn. At first, he and Yuno have a rocky relationship, with Sandler's ambitious personality making him jealous of Yuno's natural magic affinity, his successes and how he was able to gain Captain Vangeance's favour so quickly. He also disliked Yuno due to his lowly status. However, after Yuno saved Sandler when they were working together on a mission, their relationship improves. Sandler would later admit that he was envious of Yuno, and now respects him as a dependable comrade.
- "I'll become the Magic Emperor." 「オレは 魔法帝になる "Ore wa Mahōtei ninaru"」
- "I'm not stopping. I'm not moving. I'm not giving up!!!!" 「やめない どかない 諦めない!!!! "Yamenai Dokanai Akiramenai!!!!"」
- Yuno's grimoire design is the background for Volume 1's and Marque-page de Grimoire's covers.
- Yuno's favorite thing is the sky.
- Assorted Questions Brigade Rankings:
- Of the most muscular characters, Yuno is ranked #10.
- Of the most beautiful men, as rated by the Clover Kingdom and Yūki Tabata, Yuno is ranked #1.
- Of the characters most favored by animals, Yuno is ranked #2.
- Of the most popular men, Yuno is ranked #3.
- Of characters with the best skill and taste in art, Yuno is ranked #5.
- Yuno ranked #4 in the first popularity poll, #3 in the second, and #4 in the third and fourth.
- In the VIZ popularity polls, Yuno ranked #4 in the first and second, #5 in the third, and #7 in the fourth and fifth.
- According to Series Editor Fukuda, it was originally planned for Yuno to die in Chapter 7.
- For the Tales of the Rays crossover, Dhaos gets a Yuno costume.
|Langris Vaude • Yuno|
|Hamon Caseus • Klaus Lunettes • Mimosa Vermillion • Siren Tium|
|David Swallow • Letoile Becquerel|
|Hamon Caseus • Siren Tium|
|Nozel Silva • Siren Tium • Nils Ragus • En Ringard|
|Kirsch Vermillion • Noelle Silva • Luck Voltia • Ben Benfunk|
|Rill Boismortier • Puli Angel • Fragil Tormenta • Ruben Chagar|
|Yuno • Hamon Caseus • Mimosa Vermillion • Klaus Lunettes|
|Zora Ideale • Asta • Cob Portaport|
|Salamander's Breath • Salamander's Claw||Fana • Fana (elf) • Fuegoleon Vermillion|
|Sylph's Breath • Spirit Storm • Liable Tempest • Spirit's Hushed Dance • Spirit of Zephyr • Spirit of Boreas||Yuno|