Yūki Tabata 「田畠裕基 Tabata Yūki」 (born July 30, 1984) is a Japanese comic book artist 「漫画家 mangaka」 who is known for his Black Clover series. He is from Fukuoka prefecture in Japan.
Yūki Tabata began his career as a rookie when he submitted his first work, Grave Keeper HAKAMORI for 2001 Tenkaichi Manga Award, wherein he received a Special Jury Prize. He then submitted another one-shot, Blue Steady for a Rookie Manga Award in 2003, where he was one of the finalists. In 2004, Tabata entered the Tezuka Award competition where he received an honorable mention for his work, XXX WITH NO NAME. Tabata then began his professional career when he published a one-shot, Garance, in 2005 Akamaru Jump.
In 2011, Tabata entered the Golden Future Cup, which allowed him to publish a one-shot in Weekly Shōnen Jump magazine as part of a competition. He published a one-shot called Hungry Joker and managed to win the aforementioned competition. This resulted in his one-shot being considered for a serialization by the magazine. The serialization for Hungry Joker began in November 2012 at the magazine's 50th issue of the year. The series received various criticisms due to the major departure that the series had taken from the original one-shot. Due to this, Hungry Joker failed to achieve popularity and was cancelled after 24 chapters in May of 2013 at the magazine's 24th issue of the year.
A year later, Tabata published a new one-shot in Jump NEXT magazine's 2nd issue of 2014, called Black Clover. The one-shot was once again considered for serialization for Weekly Shōnen Jump and it began serialization in February of 2015 at the magazine's 12th issue of the year. For his second serialization, Tabata decided to take a much closer inspiration from the original one-shot where the main characters' design and personalities, along with the fundamental settings, were carried through in the series. As of November 2, 2020, the series has published 270 chapters and is still ongoing for the foreseeable future.
Body of Works
- Grave Keeper HAKAMORI 「墓守 HAKAMORI Hakamori HAKAMORI」: published in Tenkaichi Manga Award August 31, 2001.
- Blue Steady: published in Rookie Manga Award June, 2003.
- XXX WITH NO NAME: published in 2004 Tezuka Award.
- Garance 「ガランス Garansu」: professional debut, published in Akamaru Jump issue Winter 2005.
- Hungry Joker 「
HUNGRY JOKERHangurī Jōkā」: published in Weekly Shōnen Jump issue 37, 2011.
- Black Clover 「ブラック・クローバー Burakku Kurōbā」: published in Jump NEXT issue 2, 2014.
- Hungry Joker 「
HUNGRY JOKERHangurī Jōkā」: published in Weekly Shōnen Jump issue 50, 2012 - issue 24, 2013 and collected into 3 volumes.
- Black Clover 「ブラッククローバー Burakku Kurōbā」: published in Weekly Shōnen Jump issue 12, 2015 - ongoing and has been collected into over 25 volumes.
- Tatsuhiko Katayama 「片山達彦 Katayama Tatsuhiko」
- Toide Tanto 「戸出 Tantō Toide」
- Main article: Assistants