|“||Humans are evil incarnate. Rage, fear, hate, revenge, destruction... Evil is humanity's true nature. As such, this world is too dull for us.||”|
— To himself in Budding of Yggdrasil
Dante is a tall man with green eyes and black, combed-back hair and noticeable facial hair. His most notable feature is a black mark that runs along the entirety of his forehead.
Dante wears a black shirt with a high collar and a dark-colored fur coat with a short white fur mantle on top. He also wears a gold crown with tall spikes and red inset jewels.
While using 50% of his devil's power, a black substance forms a pair of curved horns from the his temples and a pair of bat-like wings from his back, and covers his mantle and chest. His irises change color, and his pupils become vertical slits. The marking on his face expands with the vertical lines extending up into his hairline and down over his eyes to his cheeks. When he reaches 80% of his devil's power, two more horns appear on his forehead. The black substance covers half of his face and most of his body. He grows a tail with a tip that has a similar shape to the symbol on his chest, and a second set of wings grow from lower on his back.
Dante seems to be a calm and easygoing individual. Even in the face of a surprising turn of events, he does not lose his cool. He is rather manipulative and will do anything as long as he gets his way. He pushes Asta to the extreme by harming Gauche.
He believes that evil is the true nature of humanity and the world is too dull because of it. Therefore, he considers being called evil a compliment, and encourages other people to embrace their malice, as it is a supreme emotion only humans have. On top of this, he tends to give a satisfying smile when others embrace their "humanity".
Dante is misogynistic. He bluntly declares Vanessa Enoteca to be his woman after being impressed by her magic that can alter fate. When Vanessa uses her magic in an attempt to save Asta, Dante becomes extremely enraged that she would use her power for anyone else but him, showing a lack of care or respect for her as a person with her own will. This misogyny is widened when he sees Grey's arcane magic, declaring that she shall be his woman as well.
Dante thinks lowly of people who have very little mana. He seems to enjoy fighting, as he maintains a wide smile on his face going up against Asta and Yami.
Dante grows up in the Spade Kingdom and becomes dissatisfied with life. He later enlists as a soldier in the country's military but the killing of others and military victories do not bring him satisfaction. He takes part in overthrowing the royal family and killing the king but is still left unsatisfied. Alongside Zenon and Vanica Zogratis, he takes over the Spade Kingdom and they rule as the Dark Triad.
Six months later, Dante holds a meeting with the rest of the Dark Triad as they discuss which target they should attack next. Dante sends Zenon to capture William Vangeance and Vanica to attack Princess Lolopechka and the Heart Kingdom. He then prepares to seek out Yami Sukehiro.
Dante finds the Black Bull's base near the border of the Spade Kingdom but Yami is not there. He decides to lift and play with the base while he waits for Yami to return. When Henry Legolant and Gauche Adlai attack him, Dante is insulted and tries to slam the base into the ground. Vanessa Enoteca's Rouge protects the base, which intrigues Dante. Suddenly an Anti Magic slash and Asta fly from the base. Dante dodges the slashes when his magic has no effect on them. He pulls the broken trees up into the air to smash Asta, but Rouge saves the boy.
Intrigued by the spell, Dante flies around Asta and into the base. He finds Vanessa who stands in front of her squadmates to defend them with Rouge. Since Asta is left unprotected, Dante snaps his fingers and causes the boy to slam into the ground. Dante then compliments Vanessa's magic, beauty, and figure and invites her to be his woman. Before Vanessa can respond, Asta reappears in his black form and chases Dante out of the base, and Dante is shocked that there is a devil in the Clover Kingdom. Dante continues to evade Asta's attacks so Gauche multiplies Asta in order to swarm Dante with Mirrors Meteorite. Dante draws on 50% of his devil's power and warps the space around himself to move out of the attack's way. He then steps on the real Asta and slams the boy into the ground in order to talk. He explains his views on humanity and that giving into the darkest emotions is when a person is most human. Asta counters that a strong heart can control those emotions to do right. Dante increases the gravity holding Asta down, but Rouge protects the boy, which angers Dante. Drawing on 60% of his devil's power, Dante forces Rouge to dispel and Henry to exhaust his magic and immobilizes Vanessa, Gauche, Grey in midair. In order to awaken Asta's darkest emotions, Dante creates a sword and impales Gauche on it. Asta becomes enraged and his appearance becomes more devil-like. Dante dodges an attack and rejoices over the change.
While dodging Asta's various attacks, Dante taunts the boy and asks his own devil, Lucifero, for the identity of Asta's devil. Lucifero does not recognize the other devil but considers it to be a low-ranked one. Dante then pulls several large rocks from the ground and throws them at Asta, who destroys them one by one and flies after Dante. When Asta gets near, Dante turns three of the rocks around Asta into swords, which Asta blocks with Black Hurricane. When Dante warps out of the way of a Black Slash, Asta predicts where Dante will reappear, launches himself from his spinning, and manages to cut Dante's face, which infuriates Dante. He resolves to defeat Asta with his fists and batters the Black Bull with Heavy Infighting.
After defeating Asta, Dante notices that Grey is another Arcane Stage mage. He immobilizes Grey and Vanessa and requests both of them to be his women. Suddenly Yami arrives and blocks Dante's path. Dante notes the captain's own malice but refuses to let Yami look down on him. He increases gravity to bring Yami and Finral Roulacase to the ground, and Yami uses Reinforcement Magic to catch himself and Finral from crashing and then negates Dante's magic with Black Moon. Impressed with the display of Dark Magic, Dante launches a large rock at Yami to test his abilities. Yami's Dark Cloaked Dimension Slash slices through the rock and forces Dante to warp out of its path.
Dante then crafts a sword and engages Yami in close combat. During the back and forth, Dante admits that Yami is his goal since Yami is a key that connects the living world and the underworld. He also expresses jealousy of Yami's ability to collect people with unique magic. Dante begins rapidly warping to different positions all around Yami, so the captain condenses his Mana Zone and waits for Dante to strike. Dante attacks from behind Yami, who quickly draws his sword, dodges Dante's sword, and slashes Dante across the chest. Laughing, Dante heals the wound with Body Magic and explains that Yami and William and their magic are needed to create the Tree of Qliphoth, which will be used to unleash devils on the living world. Dante and Yami then prepare to continue fighting.
After Yami continues to damage Dante, who is forced to heal himself with magic he despises, Dante decides to show Yami his true power as a devil host. Dante draws on 80% of Lucifero's power and then creates a Gravity Singularity. Yami dodges the attack, which bores through a mountain, and counters with Dark Cloaked Dimension Slash. Dante creates a second black hole that bends space around Dante and diverts the slash. Dante then raises large rocks up from the ground to block Yami's approach and sends a black hole through the rocks. Although Yami dodges the black hole, Dante throws the broken rocks at Yami. Continuing this pattern, Dante manages to scrape Yami's left arm and face with a black hole and then drops a large rock on top of the captain. However, the injured Yami steps out of the rubble and destroys Dante's torso with Death Thrust.
Dante thanks Yami for increasing his malice and regrows his torso, revealing that he dislikes his original magic attribute, Body Magic. He then monstrously transforms his body and renews his attack on Yami. Dante boasts about his own abilities and delights in how much Yami is pushing him, and one of Dante's attacks injures Yami's side. Yami admits that he cannot beat Dante on his own, so he asks Asta to help out. Dante happily takes them both on. He focuses most of his attacks on Asta while also avoiding the swings of the Demon-Slayer Sword.
After Asta agrees to a bargain with his own devil, Asta slashes through Dante's Gravity Singularity. Asta then cuts off part of Dante's right arm, so Dante additional limbs and reshapes rocks into giant swords for his arms to wield. As the battle continues, Dante decides to focus on disarming Asta. First, Dante knocks the Demon-Slayer Sword out of Asta's hands and covers it in one of his overgrown hands. When Asta calls the Demon-Dweller Sword back, Dante snatches it out of the air. Asta then pulls the Demon-Destroyer Sword out of his grimoire, but Dante slams it to the ground and attacks with his last free hand. Although Yami stops the attack and destroys Dante's body again, Asta is out of weapons while Dante regrows his body. Yami then passes his katana to Asta, who imbues it with Anti Magic and slashes Dante. Dante's transformation is nullified and he falls to the ground unconscious and with a large gash across his torso.
Before Yami can restrain Dante, Zenon arrives to the battlefield and captures Yami. Zenon then scoops up Dante's body and admonishes him for his loss. Despite the Black Bulls' attacks, Zenon carries Dante and Yami through a Spatial Magic portal.
- Body Magic: Dante uses this magic attribute to manipulate his body's tissues, allowing him to repair and alter his physique at will. Due to enhancement from his devil's power, Dante's self-healing is unnaturally quick and extensive, enabling him to survive decapitation and to regenerate his whole torso in seconds. This enhancement also stops his natural aging process. He can also greatly distort his body and form additional limbs.
- Gravity Magic: Dante uses this magic attribute to manipulate gravity. He can weaken gravity to levitate himself and large objects or strengthen gravity to slam things into the ground with tremendous force. By increasing the pressure all around a target, Dante could immobilize a person in midair or condense and shape a large amount of material into an object.
- Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant: While he normally keeps his hands in his pockets, Dante is highly proficient in unarmed combat. He completely dominates a berserk Black Asta with his bare hands.
- Master Swordsman: Dante is a very skilled swordsman. He fights evenly with Yami Sukehiro in a sword fight.
- Enhanced Speed: Dante is extremely fast. He easily dodges multiple attacks from Asta, including high-speed attacks that home in on magic.
- Enhanced Strength: Dante possesses great physical strength. He kicks in a magically-reinforced door and breaks the stone wall around it.
- Immense Magic Power: As a devil host, Dante possesses an immense amount of magic power and can exert this strength over a wide range.
- Devil-Possessed: As a member of the Dark Triad, Dante is host to the devil Lucifero, who grants him immense power. He can use up to 80% of the devil's power. The more power he draws on, the more devil-like his appearance becomes. With 50% of the Lucifero's power, Dante can distort space to move himself out of harm's way, and with 60%, his sheer power can nullify Vanessa Enoteca's Red Thread of Fate spell.
- Dual Mana Attribute: Due to being devil-possessed, Dante has the ability to use both his own Body Magic and Lucifero's Gravity Magic.
- "Humans are evil incarnate. Rage, fear, hate, revenge, destruction... Evil is humanity's true nature. As such, this world is too dull for us." 「人間とは悪だ 怒り 恐怖 憎悪 復讐 破壊... 人間の本性は悪なのだ そんな我々に この世界は退屈すぎる... Ningen to wa akuda Ikari Kyōfu Zōo Fukushū Hakai... Ningen no honshō wa akuna noda Son'na wareware ni Kono sekai wa taikutsu sugiru...」
- Dante's grimoire design is the background for Volume 25's cover.
- Dante's favorite things are himself and malice.
- Dante's forehead mark and gravity powers may be references to the Newtonian Apple from Tabata's previous series, Hungry Joker.
- Dante may be named after Dante Alighieri, the author of Inferno, an epic poem in which Dante travels through the nine circles of Hell.
|Dante Zogratis • Zenon Zogratis • Vanica Zogratis|
|Lucifero • Megicula|
|Gaderois Godroc • Foyal Migusteau • Svenkin Gatard • Sivoir Snyle • Halbet Chevour • Hischer Ongg • Robero Ringert|
|Loyce • Ciel • Yuno • Ralph Niaflem|
|Presence of the Demon King • Heavy Infighting • Heavy Infighting Gladiator • Gravity Singularity|
|Evil God's Pressure Craft|
|Lucifero • Dante Zogratis|
|Asta • Nacht|
|Dante Zogratis • Vanica Zogratis • Zenon Zogratis|